A BRIEF HISTORY OF GOLF AT MYSORE
The Royal Years
1906 - The Late Maharaja Nalvadi Krishnaraja Wadiyar who, with far-sightedness and a sense of scenic beauty, chose the foothills of the famous Chamundi Hills as the locale for the Race and Golf courses. Located on 110 acres in the premises of the Mysore Race Club.
Mysore Sports Club & Mysore Race Club Ltd.
1940 - On his accession to the throne, H.H. Jayachamaraja Wadiyar took a keen interest in racing and golf and maintained the golf course.
1957 - Instituted the "Maharajas Challenge Cup".
1963 - The Maharaja handed over the Mysore Sports Club to the members. The Sports Club maintained the course and conducted the "Maharajas Cup" and the yearly South India Addicts tournament from its' inception in 1968.
1968 - The Mysore Race Club was formed.
1969 - MRC began conducting races.
1971 - The Maharaja sold the racecourse to the Mysore Race Club Ltd. for a small sum.
1976 - The land was acquired by the Government of Karnataka and leased to the Race Club.
1977 - The Mysore Sports Club expressed their inability to maintain the course due to financial constraints and handed the management to the Race Club. The Race Club then began to maintain the course and conduct the "Maharajas Cup" and the Addicts meet.
1979 - Eight acres of the course was acquired by the State Government for the Mounted Police. The course layout was changed. A fence was erected around the course to prevent unauthorised access of people and grazing cattle.
Jayachamaraja Wadiyar Golf Club
Due to unavoidable circumstances, the Mysore Race Club decided to close their golfing operations.
Faced with the extinction of golfing activity in Mysore, 8 visionary people got together and formed the Jayachamaraja Wadiyar Golf Club.
The Race Club acceded to the Clubs request for permission to use the course. The new Club had not only the maintenance of the course in mind but also the promotion of the game. The Club began a membership drive and soon had over a hundred members. The Club affiliated itself to the Indian Golf Union and other golf clubs.
1989 - Seeing the need for a shelter for the golfers, the Race Club, magnanimously built the "Golf Hut", providing an office, storage space and toilets.
1990 - a formal "Memorandum of Understanding" was entered into with the Mysore Race Club.
1992 to 1996 - These years saw the transformation of golf in Mysore. The Tourism Department, Government of India embarked on a project to develop golf tourism in India. The first step was to upgrade courses to a minimum international standard. The J.W. Golf Club was successful in obtaining a grant of over Rs.37 lakhs in 1993.
1996 - New course layout & Irrigated Greens & Tees opened for play. Designed by Pacific Coast Design, Australia. Total cost of the project was 65 lakhs with Mysore Race Club extending their support to the extent of Rs. 5 lakhs and the balance from the Club.
1998 - Purchase of 3.5 acres of land for the Club House.
2000 - Mysore produces the first South Indian to win the National Amateur Golf Championship in its 99 year history.
2000 - Inauguration of the first phase of the Club House.
JWGC has actively promoted golf - from a handful of local golfers in 1985, the club now has over 160 regular golfers from the city alone. A bright future awaits the 850 members and visiting golfers from around the world